Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A New York Christmas Experience

As told by my long time acquaintance and Art Rep, Constance Kay, enhanced by my vision
of a
Merry Christmas!!


 As I have been traveling around the city on the bus, on the subway, and by foot, I have become aware of many things.  It has made me feel thankful for the people, the places, the beauty, the things around me
and the experiences that I feel blessed to have had.  


 I sometimes want to pinch myself to think that I have been so lucky to have the opportunity to experience living in New York City.  Not everyone would feel that way, but I do.


It’s that time of the year…



New York is buzzing with excitement.  All the big department stores have had their “friends and family” discounts days and the stores are mobbed!




The first sight that, for whatever reason, got me excited this year was the Tiffany snowflake at the corner of 57th Street and 5th Avenue. 


It’s been there forever, but they did update it a few years ago. It was one of the first sights this year that made me feel Christmas is here!  



This year Tiffany has done something for their window displays I have never seen them do before...


  Above and around each window, they have built a very dimensional carousel in aqua and gold. 
Inside the window they show a piece of beautiful jewelry.

 One of the pieces was placed on a carousel horse.  I love the creativity. 
 What fun and what a surprise to see something so clever and such a new idea.
How fortunate is the person who will receive those precious pieces of jewelry that are also works of art seen in the windows!



Rockefeller Center has the biggest and most beautiful tree this year.  It is filled with thousands of colored lights.  People are coming from all over the world to see and have their picture taken in front of this tree.
It is truly wonderful.


All the department store windows are filled with moving figures and holiday music is being piped into the street.  It is such a festive time in New York!  I wish I could share this time with all of you in person.
(...an aside, WATCH THIS video...eye candy!!) 






It’s fun to go by the theater where the Rockettes have their Christmas Show.  The children are so excited and are all dressed up in their holiday clothes to see the Show!



It’s fun seeing

The children in all the activities around the City.
Over the weekend, I saw families picking out their tree and then walking the tree back to their homes.




A few Sunday nights ago, we sang carols on Park Avenue in front of the Brick Church on 91st street.  We all gather to sing and then wait to see the lights being lit on all of the trees down Park Avenue.  

The trees that they light up start at 92nd street and go all the way down to 42nd street. 
We were quite surprised when they turned on the switch all the lights did go on!!!  In previous years, about half of them turn on the first night.
So, everyone does turn out just to see if the lights will be on all the way down Park. It seemed like a good omen!


The Christmas cookies are in the stores,
the ribbon candy is placed on the shelves, 


and the poinsettias are wrapped in red foil just waiting to be picked up. 

Little Christmas trees for small places in our homes, the wreaths and boughs are displayed outside of the green grocers, the star decorations hanging from the light poles, trees are showing up in people’s windows, wreaths on every door, and, 

Oh my, but there are Santa’s everywhere!

People are carrying bags from all different stores.  It is just a magical time in the city.  I wish that each and every one of you could enjoy what I am seeing.  It does inspire.  
It makes one feel very good about the season.

We wish you a very, very Merry Christmas...
and a prosperous New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment